COLLEGE & CAREER CENTER
(916) 786-8676 ext. 5111
College Reps please visit Counselor Community to schedule a visit to our school or send me an email.
The College and Career Center will be closed from June 4th through August 2nd
Military Academy Night, Wednesday, August 28th 6-8 pm
Fall College Day Fair, Wednesday, September 18th during both lunches
Financial Aid Night/FAFSA/Dream Act, Tuesday, October 8th @ GBHS
For the Class of 2020 ONLY
Summer College Exploration Workshop
June 10 and June 11
9 am to 12 pm
at GBHS Library
Sign up HERE (space is limited)
A two day workshop exploring:
- UC, CSU, Private and Community Colleges
- Career and College Exploration
- Creating a college list
- Understanding Personal Insight Questions and Personal Essays
- Understand Financial Aid and scholarships
- Prepare a resume for college applications
- Letter of Recommendation process
Class of 2020
Personal Finance Course - Final Exam Registration
You must completed all chapter exams prior to taking the final exam. You can find the Personal Finance course in your Blackboard account.
The exam will be administered in the Learning Center/Library throughout the school year.
If you have a work permit to pick up, please pick it up by May 31st in the College & Career Center.
After June 3rd, please go to Independence High School for work permits
125 Berry Street, Roseville, CA
Monday-Thursday 7:30 am - 4:00 pm
Please call before going to Independence High School - the office may be closed periodically for meetings.
1. Download a Request for Work Permit and Statement of Intent to Employ Minor" form FORM HERE
2. Employer completes and signs their section
3. Parent/Legal Guardian signatures must be complete
SAT - ACT TEST PREP
Summer test prep workshops available
July 29 - August 2
** US News & World Report Article: Universities That Meet Full Financial Need With NO Loans
Sierra College Enrollment
October 1, 2018: Fall 2019 Application opens
Seniors planning to attend Sierra College in the Fall 2019:
Step 1: Apply now with the Admissions application at the Sierra College home page
What is Sierra Promise?
Sierra Promise is a partnership between Sierra College and our local district high schools to help students with their transition to college. Sierra Promise helps make students college-ready before they graduate from high school, and helps them start college with an education/career plan and access to financial support.
Who is eligible for Sierra Promise?
Granite Bay High School is a partner high school, as a current senior you are initially eligible. Once a student completes an application for admission to the college, he/she will receive an invitation in their mySierra account to “Become a Promise Scholar.”
What does it mean to “Become a Promise Scholar?”
Students who commit to Sierra Promise get additional services and support. These include:
- Priority registration for your first semester, an education and career plan, assistance with financial aid/scholarships
- Referrals to support and success programs such as RISE, Guardian Scholars, Puente, EOPS, etc.
- Referrals to additional career and academic resources
- Workshops and events to help with registration and orientation
In return, Promise Scholars commit to the following:
- Complete the FAFSA or Dream application
- Participate in registration and orientation events sponsored by Sierra Promise
- Enroll in 30 or more units within your first year (summer, fall, spring)
Where do I find Scholarships?
- In the College & Career Center and on the College & Career Center Website
- RJUHSD Local Scholarship Program Feb. 1-28
- Organizations your family is connected to – Local businesses, clubs, unions, banks, churches, parents place of employment.
- Check your intended college’s website under financial aid/scholarships.
- Online searches – be sure they are FREE. Here a few…
- Financial Aid on the Web: finaid.org
- Salle Mae Scholarships: https://www.salliemae.com/college-planning/college-scholarships/
- College Board: https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/pay-for-college/grants-scholarships
- College Board Opportunity Scholarships: https://opportunity.collegeboard.org/
- Going Merry: https://www.goingmerry.com/
- Wired Scholar: wiredscholar.com
- com: www.gocollege.com
- Search for Scholarships: scholarships360.org
- Fast Web: Fastweb.com
- Unusual scholarships
- Prestigious scholarships and fellowships
- Full tuition academic scholarships
- Scholarships for average students
- Community service scholarships
- Scholarships for Hispanic and Latino students
- Cancer scholarships
- Athletic scholarships
Transcripts and Your College Applications
If you apply through Common Application and invite your counselor – Your transcript will be sent automatically to the institutions you are applying
If you request a transcript from your counselor through the Coalition Application – Your transcript will be sent automatically to the institutions you are applying
If you request a transcript from your counselor through SENDedu – Your transcript will be sent automatically to the institutions you are applying
All others – with the exception of those noted above, you, the student, should order up transcripts through Student Services ($3 fee for each) unless there is an electronic means for your counselor to send a transcript to the insitution electronically. In those cases, it is the student’s responsibility to get their counselor that information for their counselor to do so.
If a hardcopy is needed to be sent, that would require you, the student, to order a transcript through Student Services at a cost of $3 each.
Any questions, please see Teri Keeney in the College & Career Center.
The internet offers a variety of free scholarship search sites (see below). Be wary of any entity that guarantees you will be selected for a scholarship. Remember: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is! If you think you are a victim of a scholarship scam or financial aid fraud, please report it immediately to the U.S. Department of Education's Office of Inspector General at 1-800-MIS-USED or email email@example.com.
Going Merry (A scholarship search and one application website)