United States Naval Academy
You are eligible to apply for the United States Naval Academy if you meet the following criteria:
- A United States Citizen by 1 July of the year of entry
- At least 17 years of age and must not have passed 23rd birthday on 1 July of the year of entry
- Not pregnant and no dependents
- Have a valid Social Security Number (If you do not have a Social Security number you can apply for a card here https://www.ssa.gov)
If you are in high school but are not old enough to apply, you can register with USNA to receive information about our Summer Programs.
Apply for Nomination
You must obtain a nomination from an official source, which normally includes U.S. Representatives or U.S. Senators representing your Congressional district or State, respectively, and the Vice President of the United States. Applying for a nomination is similar to applying for a school. Being personally acquainted with the nominator is not required. We encourage you to apply to all available sources.
It is recommended that you submit your letter of application for nominations immediately after you complete your preliminary application. Do not wait until you receive a nomination to begin your formal USNA application. Many nomination notifications do not go out until early to mid-January and the deadline for the USNA application is January 31. Your nominator will notify us of your nomination. You do not need to notify the Academy.
Nomination Process and Reference Information:
Find Your Senators & Congressman:
(Contact your Senators and Congressman for their respective applications.)
- U.S. Senators, Representatives, and Delegates The President of the U.S.
- The Vice President of the U.S.
- Navy and Marine Corps (Active and Reserve)
- Reserve Officers Training Corps Units
- Children of deceased or disabled veterans and children of prisoners of war or servicemen missing in action
- Children of Medal of Honor Awardees
College Entrance Exams
The Naval Academy requires candidates to take the Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) or the American College Test (ACT) prior to admission. We evaluate candidates based on the highest score in each individual category if you elect to take these tests multiple times.
Note: You may use your PSAT scores for the preliminary qualification; however, these will not be used as final admissions criteria.
Test scores should be forwarded to the Naval Academy using the appropriate College Code Numbers:
- SAT Code – 5809
- ACT Code – 1742
Check with your school counselor or visit the SAT and ACT website for test dates and registration requirements. We will accept any ACT or SAT test that is taken before February 28, even if the results arrive after. We do not accept test scores from a test taken with accommodations.