Students are required to have all absences cleared by a parent/guardian. Please follow the procedures below:
To clear an absence send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a voicemail on the main attendance line at 916-786-8676.
The email should be written by the parent/guardian and must include:
- Date and time of the absence
- Specific reason for the absence (see below for allowable excused absence guidelines)
- Daytime phone number of the parent or guardian
Forgery of a note, a phone call, or any other school document or official communication is grounds for discipline up to and including suspension.
Excused Absences (Education Code Section 48205)
A student may be excused legally from school when the absence is due to:
- Personal illness or injury
- Quarantine under the direction of a county or city health officer.
- Medical, dental, optometric, or chiropractic services rendered.
- Attendance at funeral services for a member of the immediate family (1 day in state, 3 days out of state).
- Jury duty in the manner provided by law.
- Pupil is custodial parent of a child who is ill or has a medical appointment during school.
- Exclusion for failure to present evidence of immunization (Education Code 48216)
- Exclusion from school because student is either the carrier of a contagious disease or not immunized for a contagious disease (Education Code 48213)
- Pupils in grades 7-12 who leave school (with prior approval of the Principal or his/her designee) to obtain confidential medical services. The pupil is to return a copy of the medical professional’s appointment verification form.
Upon written request of the parent or guardian and prior approval of the Principal or his/her designee and pursuant to board policy, a student’s personal justifiable absence may be excused. Reasons include, but are not limited to:
- Appearance in court.
- Observation of a holiday or ceremony of his/her religion.
- Attendance at religious retreats not to exceed four (4) hours per semester.
- Employment interview or conference.
- Attendance at funeral services (for other than the immediate family)
Students are expected to make-up all work missed during the absence. Students with excused absences have the number of days they were absent to complete any work assigned during the absence. Board Policy permits teachers to designate certain assignments as “long term”. As such, these assignments shall be submitted before or on the assigned due date even if the student is absent.