• College/Financial Aid Application Workshops 22-23 

    CAL GRANT GPA: RJUHSD electronically files GPAs for all current seniors (Class of 2023) AND last year's seniors (Class of 2022) so that they can be considered for Cal Grant.

    What exactly is Financial Aid?

    Financial Aid is the money you and your family can get for educational expenses. It's designed to supplement the amount you and your family contribute. There are four basic types of financial aid: Grants, Scholarships, Work Study and Loans.

    • Grants: awarded based on need; you do not have to repay a grant.
    • Scholarships: awarded on special ability, academic achievement, religious affiliation, ethnic background, special interest, or random drawing; you do not have to repay a scholarship.
    • Work Study: a federal program offering part-time jobs both on and off campus. You do not repay work study funds because you're trading work for financial aid. 
    • Educational loans: funds borrowed from a financial institution or the federal government. You must repay educational loans, usually with interest. 

    Cal Grants

    Two things are required for students to be considered for a Cal Grant: 1) Student submits his/her FAFSA and 2) Student submits GPA to California Student Aid Commission (CSAC). Roseville Joint Union High School District electronically submits GPAs for ALL Seniors. Therefore, once a student submits his/her FAFSA, they will be automatically considered for a Cal Grant. Please do not try to submit GPA Verification Forms.

    Once your FAFSA is complete, wait a couple of weeks, and then go to https://mygrantinfo.csac.ca.gov/ to check the status of a potential Cal Grant award.

    Getting Started:

    • File a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) in October or November of the Senior year. This establishes eligibility for grants and loans from the federal and state government such as Cal-Grants. Eligibility for this money is based primarily on parents’ income and assets in the year prior to the student’s freshman year in college.
      • You have nothing to lose by filing the FAFSA – it’s free. Even if your family has middle to high income, don’t rule yourself out. Factors other than income are weighed when calculating need. For instance, an applicant may have siblings who are also in college, parents who are older, or the family may have had a recent financial setback. Also, most colleges use FAFSA information to award their financial aid.
      • The FAFSA is completed using parent tax information from TWO years prior. Therefore, if you are starting college Fall 2023, you will use tax information from 2021. The FAFSA should be filed in OCTOBER or NOVEMBER of your Senior year in order to be considered for Cal Grant as soon as possible. 
      • Complete the FAFSA online here.
        • This is the official FAFSA website. Do not go to a .com website. If you go to a .com site, you may be asked to pay to submit the FAFSA. Remember, the first F in "FAFSA" stands for "free" – Use the official government site to submit your application.
    • The due date for the FAFSA, if you want to be eligible for Cal Grant, is March 2nd each year. RJUHSD electronically files GPA verifications for ALL current Seniors and last year's Seniors.

    FSA ID
    The FSA ID gives you access to the Federal Student Aid online system and serves as your legal signature. Parents and students each create FSA IDs. Only create an FSA ID using your own personal information and for your own exclusive use. You are not authorized to create an FSA ID on behalf of someone else, including a family member. 

    Your FAFSA and Cal Grant will need to be renewed every year. Save your FSA ID!

    What information will you need to correctly fill out the FAFSA?

    • Your Social Security card and driver's license
    • W-2 Forms or other records of income earned
    • Your Federal Income Tax Return
    • Your parents' Federal Income Tax Return, if you are a dependent student
    • Records of other untaxed income received such as welfare benefits, Social Security benefits, TANF or ADC, veteran's benefits, or military or clergy allowances
    • Current bank statements and records of stocks, bonds, and other investments
    • Business or farm records, if applicable
    • Your permanent resident card (if you are not a U.S. citizen)

    Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) Discount
    Western Undergraduate Exchange Program - a program that allows students who are residents of California to enroll at participating colleges outside of California at a reduced tuition rate. Often times, out of state fees are reduced by 50% at participating schools. 


    FAFSA ON THE WEB: (800) 433-3243


    California Dream Act Application (CADAA)

    The California Dream Act Application allows certain undocumented and out-of-state students interested in attending eligible California colleges, universities, and career education programs to apply for state financial aid. The application is unrelated to the federal Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program.