• During school closures due to COVID-19, students must email their completed work permit application to Mrs. Lott at JLott@rjuhsd.us.

    • ALL sections must be completed before sending it (Minor Info without SSN, Parent Signature, and Employer Info & Signature).

    • DO NOT send your Social Security Number via email. Instead, call the Career Center at 916-771-6565 x4050 and leave your SSN via voicemail.

    • Mrs. Lott will send your completed work permit via USPS mail.

    Work Permit Application Form:
     Click Here

    Work permits are processed in the College & Career Center. Here are the important details you need to know about work permits:

    • Students do not need a work permit to apply for a job - work permits are needed once a student has been hired.

    • Students need work permits if a) they are enrolled in high school AND if b) they are under 18 years old. Once a student turns 18, they do not need a work permit, even if they are still in high school. Once a student graduates from high school, they do not need a work permit, even if they are under 18 at the time of graduation.

    • Work permits can take up to 24 hours to process. If a student turns in a work permit application before 10am, they will most likely be able to pick up the work permit after school that same day. If a student turns in a work permit application after 10am, they will be able to pick up the work permit the next school day.

    • Before the Career Center receives the work permit application, it needs to have the following sections completed:

      • Student information section (including social security number)

      • Parent signature

      • Employer information section and signature

    • The amount of hours a student can work is not decided on by the Career Center, but by the State of California. A breakdown of the hours allowed, based on age, is on the back of the work permit application (or page 2).

    • If a student has below a 2.0 GPA or unsatisfactory attendance, the student may need to meet with an Assistant Principal and/or a Counselor before obtaining a permit. It may be decided that the permit cannot be issued.


    Presentation on Creating Your Résumé: Click Here