HOW TO HANDLE LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION
Be sure to complete your Profile/Resume in Naviance. This helps your counselor/teacher to know more about you.
? You can access the Peronal Profile template from the GBHS Counseling website (http://www.rjuhsd.us/domain/654 ) or in your Naviance account under the “About Me” tab, go to “Surveys to Take”, then “Surveys not yet Started” (http://connection.naviance.com/gbhs). Click on Personal Profile.
Be sure you have signed FERPA Agreement Permission to Release Edcuation Record Information for Letter of Recommendation. Return signed agreement to your counselor.
LOR Resume/Profile should include (Best to complete the Personal Profile in Naviance)
3. Student ID#
6. Work Experience
9. Volunteer Service
11. Anything special you want your counselor/teacher to know about you
12. Colleges/Universities/Schools you plan to apply to
THE DO'S AND DON'TS
• Remember that all counselor/teacher recommendations are confidential and will be sent directly to the requesting campus. They are not returned to the student, nor seen by the student (department policy)
• Give your recommenders plenty of lead time, i.e. thirty days (10 school days minimum)
• Provide a copy of your personal profile information form
1. You can access the personal profile template HERE or in your Naviance account under the “About Me” tab, My Stuff, Resume (http://connection.naviance.com/gbhs).
• Clearly communicate due dates for each college
• If an electronic version of your college application is not available, you MUST provide stamped addressed envelopes (TWO STAMPS per envelope) with GBHS as the return address:
#1 Grizzly Way
Granite Bay, CA 95746
• Waive your confidentiality rights as a failure to do so may construe to colleges that your recommender may not have felt the freedom to comment honestly
• Seek out teachers who know you on a personal level
• Forget to double check all your paperwork for completion before submitting to your counselor
• Request a letter of recommendation right before Winter Break that is due during the break or immediately upon return
• Drop your paperwork off without talking to your counselor
- Many times there are details that need to be clarified (See your counselor during lunch, in between classes, after school, or set up an appointment)