Since 2012 the district has presented the State Seal of Biliteracy to each graduating high school student who has attained a high level of proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing in one or more languages in addition to English.
There is no application for the Seal of Biliteracy. Seniors who have met eligibility via coursework within RJUHSD will be notified if they have received the award.
The California Department of Education has determined the criteria for the California State Seal of Biliteracy recognition. Students must show proficiency in English as well as in one or more languages, other than English, by demonstrating the following:
- English Proficiency:
Students must have:
- 2.0 GPA in all graduation-required English Courses
- Standard met on the CAASPP for ELA
- Proficiency in a language other than English demonstrated in one of two ways:
- Completing four years of coursework with a 3.0 GPA or higher
- Passing score on the AP (3 or higher), IB (4 or higher), or SAT II subject test (600 or higher)