Seal of BiliteracySince 2012 the district has presented the State Seal of Biliteracy to each graduating high school student who has attained a high level of proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing in one or more languages in addition to English.
Application deadline: Friday, April 1, 2022
- State Seal of Biliteracy 2021/2022 Paper Application
- State Seal of Biliteracy 2021/2022 Online Application
The California Department of Education has added new criteria to the California State Seal of Biliteracy recognition. Students must show proficiency in one or more languages, other than English, by demonstrating the following:
Successful completion of a four-year high school course of study in a foreign (world) language, attaining an overall grade point average of 3.0 or higher in that course of study, and demonstration of oral proficiency in the language comparable to that required to pass an AP or IB examination.
Seniors who are currently enrolled in a Level 4 Foreign Language class for the 2021-2022 school year qualify for this sub-criterion.
Seniors who previously took a Level 4 Foreign Language class in prior school years can still qualify for this sub-criterion by contacting their Level 4 Foreign Language teacher and re-assessing this year’s class assessment (which contains the oral exam that is equivalent to AP or IB).
Students may also qualify for this criterion by meeting one of the following:
- Passing an Advanced Placement exam in any foreign language with a score of 3 or higher.
- Passing an International Baccalaureate exam in any foreign language with a score of 4 or higher.
- Passing the SAT II Subject Test in Foreign Language with a score of 600 or higher.