This is a privilege!ALL WORK PERMITS MUST BE RENEWED AT THE START OF EACH SCHOOL YEAR!Work permits expire August 13th, 2021.
To obtain a work permit following the below steps:
- Once you have been hired, print out the Work Permit Application
- Student fills out the top section with personal information. ALL fields MUST be filled out!
- Have your new employer fill out their section and sign the form (all signatures need to be real NO ELECTRONIC signatures accepted)
- Parent/Guardian of student needs to sign the application(all signatures need to be real NO ELECTRONIC signatures accepted)
- The student has to bring the completed work permit to the College and Career Center (located near the library)
- Students must have Cs or better in their current classes to be issued a work permit.
- Grades will be monitored and permits may be pulled if students are unable to keep a C or better in all classes.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Q: If I am graduated from high school, do I need a work permit?
A: Once a minor is no longer subject to the state's compulsory education laws, he/she is not considered a minor for purposes of the state's child labor laws (labor code 1286[c]). Therefore, a high school graduate does not require a permit and may work in any occupation, even if he/she is under 18 years old.
Q: When do work permits expire?
A: ALL work permits expire August 13th. Work permits issued during the summer and past school year (2019-2020) must be renewed by August 13, 2021, even if you are continuing to work for the same employer. The process for renewing a work permit requires the same original steps as when you first obtained a work permit (steps above).
Q: Do I need a work permit to apply for a job?
A: No, you do not need the work permit until you are hired. There is a portion of the work permit application that your new employer HAS to sign before you come to the College and Career Center
Q: I have a work permit for McDonalds but now I will be working at Subway, do I need a new work permit or is the first one still good?
A: You need a work permit every time you get a new job. The work permit is specific for the place you work.
HOURS OF WORK:
The following restrictions and spread of hours are for permits issued for summer employment ONLY.
16 and 17 year olds:
8 hours per day/48 hours per week. Spread of hours- 5:00am-12:30am
14 and 15 year olds:
8 hours per day/40 hours per week. Spread of hours- 7:00am-9:00pm