Movement Skills and Movement Knowledge
The student will be competent in many movement activities.
Students who meet this standard will be able to:
- Show basic competence in soccer,flag football,basketball,square dance,track, and field,tumbling,softball,and swimming.
- Students will demonstrate their competence through self and peer assessments or an acceptable grade on a rubic-based skill evaluation.
The student will understand how and why one moves in a variety of situations and will use this information to enhance his or her skills.
- Identify the characteristics of highly skilled performance in a few movement forms.
- Understand the relationship between biomechanical principles and movement.(This standard will be met through lecture,discussion and demonstration in every unit.)
- Assess the movement skills of self and others.(Peer and self-assesments will be completed and included in PE folder.)
- Analyze basic defensive strategies in games and sports.(This standard will be met through situational analysis.)
The student will achieve and maintain a health enhancing level of physical fitness.
- Understand the physiological and social benefits of a healthy,active lifestyle.
- Assess and analyze their personal fitness.
- Set goals to meet current health-related fitness standards.
- Apply principles of training in designing a personal fitness program.
- Participate in a variety of physical activities appropriate for enhancing physical fitness. (This will b accomplished through daily participation in all the units.)
The following assignment will be used to meet this standard.
Integrated with Health
Self-image and Personal DevelopmentStandard 4
The student will exhibit a physically active lifestyle and will understand that a physical activity provides opportunities for enjoyment,challenge,and self-expression.
- Analyze and compare health and fitness benefits derived from various physical activities.(Integrated with Health)
- Identify the ways which physical activity can provide opportunities for positive social interaction and enjoyment.
- Participate in variety of physical activities in order to achieve personal goals.
The student will demonstrate responsible personal behavior while participating in movement activities.
- Act independently of peer pressure.
- Explain why and how rules make participation in physical activity safe.
- Apply safe practices,rules,and procedures in all physical activity setting.
- Demonstrate good sportsmanship.
The Following assignments and tasks will be used to meet this standard:
- Students will demonstrate safety rules and procedures for in-class activities.
- Students will evaluate their own sportsmanship.
The student will demonstrate responsible social behavior while participating in movement activities. The student will understand the importance of respect for all others.
- Resolve conflicts in appropriate ways.
- Participate in peer coaching for development of physical education skills and knowledge.
- Participate in activities representing different cultural backgrounds.
The following assignments and tasks will be used to meet the standard:
- All unit instruction will address and discuss appropriate ways to resolve conflict.
- Students will participate in peer assessments of movement in various units.
The student will understand the interrelationship between history and culture and games,sports,and career opportunities.
- Describe events in history that have had an impact on current physical education programs,sports,and career opportunities.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how sport and dance influence American culture.
- Understand the historical trends in fitness participation and activities.
The following assignments and tasks will be used to meet this standard.
- Students will discuss various impacts of history and/ or culture on activities.