United States Merchant Marine Academy
To be eligible to enter the Academy, you must:
- Be at least 17 years of age and must not have passed your 25th birthday before July 1 in the year of entrance.
- Be a citizen of the United States either by birth or naturalization, except for a limited number of international midshipmen specially authorized by Congress.
- Meet the physical, security, suitability and character requirements necessary for commission in the U.S. Navy Reserve.
- Obtain a Congressional nomination to the Academy; submit a completed application; and qualify scholastically.
- Be of good moral character.
- Go to https://onlineapp.usmma.edu/Account/Login.aspx to register for an account and start your application.
- You will need the following information to get started:
- Social Security Number
- SAT or ACT scores (leave blank if not available)
- High School Class Rank
- Congressional State and District
Apply for a Nomination
- Candidates must be nominated to the Academy by a U.S. Representative or U.S. Senator from your State of Residence/Domicile.
- A candidate does not have to reside in the same Congressional District as his/her nominator (a Member of the U.S. House of Representative CAN nominate a candidate who resides in a District other than their own, as long as it is in their (the nominator's) State/Territory). This differs from nominations to the USMA, USNA, and USAFA.
- Securing a nomination is a competitive process. A nomination does not guarantee appointment to the Academy.
- Nominating authorities select their nominees by any methods they wish, including a screening interview. Each nominating authority follows a different process and establishes a unique deadline. You must be familiar with your nominating authorities’ requirement and apply for a nomination as early as possible. Contact information for your nominating authorities can be found at https://www.senate.gov/senators/contact and https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative
- Nominations to the Academy must be received by January 31st. Your nominating authorities will notify us of your nomination. If we do not receive your nomination by January 31st, your application will be closed.
- The United States Merchant Marine Academy does not accept Vice Presidential or military service-connected nominations, i.e. Presidential, Regular/Reserve Component, ROTC.
College Entrance Exams
- All candidates are required to take either the Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT), or American College Test (ACT).
- The Academy will accept official test results up to the February test date of the year for which candidates seek appointment. The Academy will accept all test scores attained within three years of the admissions application deadline. The Academy does not accept the non-standard or untimed administration of the SAT or ACT.
- Students who achieve scores below 580 math and 29 reading on the SAT and below 24 math and 23 English on the ACT are strongly encouraged to retake the tests. For the Class of 2023:
- SAT scores should be forwarded using the Academy's College Board Code: 2923.
- ACT scores should be forwarded using the Academy's ACT Code: 2974.
- Speak with your school counselor or visit the SAT and ACT websites for additional information.
- You are encouraged to take both the SAT and ACT tests several times to try to improve your scores. Your highest scores will be accepted.
* SAT or ACT qualifying scores for admission will be determined by the Academy for each entering class.