Students are required to have all absences cleared by a parent/guardian. Please follow the procedures below:
To clear an absence send a note with your student the day they return and have them drop it off at the attendance office.
The note should be written in ink and must include the:
§ Date and time of the absence
§ Specific reason for the absence (see below for allowable excused absence guidelines)
§ Signature of the parent or guardian
§ Daytime phone number of the parent or guardian
Notes should be dropped in the box in the attendance office. Students who do not bring a note by the third school day following an absence will be marked truant.
Forgery of a note, a phone call, or any other school document or official communication is grounds for discipline up to and including suspension.
Excused Absences (Education Code Section 48205)
A student may be excused legally from school when the absence is due to:
• Personal illness or injury
• Quarantine under the direction of a county or city health officer.
• Medical, dental, optometric, or chiropractic services rendered.
• Attendance at funeral services for a member of the immediate family (1 day in state, 3 days out of state).
• Jury duty in the manner provided by law.
• Pupil is custodial parent of a child who is ill or has a medical appointment during school.
• Exclusion for failure to present evidence of immunization (Education Code 48216)
• Exclusion from school because student is either the carrier of a contagious disease or not immunized for a contagious disease (Education Code 48213)
• Pupils in grades 7-12 who leave school (with prior approval of the Principal or his/her designee) to obtain confidential medical services. The pupil is to return a copy of the medical professional’s appointment verification form.
Upon written request of the parent or guardian and prior approval of the Principal or his/her designee and pursuant to board policy, a student’s personal justifiable absence may be excused. Reasons include, but are not limited to:
• Appearance in court.
• Observation of a holiday or ceremony of his/her religion.
• Attendance at religious retreats not to exceed four (4) hours per semester.
• Employment interview or conference.
• Attendance at funeral services (for other than the immediate family)
Students are expected to make-up all work missed during the absence. Students with excused absences have the number of days they were absent to complete any work assigned during the absence. Board Policy permits teachers to designate certain assignments as “long term”. As such, these assignments shall be submitted before or on the assigned due date even if the student is absent.
After nine days of absences and/or truant conduct for the same school period(s), day 10 of absence and/or truant conduct for the same school period(s) will only be allowed with written verification from a school or medical professional.
When a student has reached nine full or partial days of the same period missed during any school year, a letter will be sent home to the parent/guardian notifying the parent/guardian that he/she will no longer be able to excuse an absence without a note from a school or medical professional. Absences without a note from a school or medical professional will be reported as unexcused absences/truancies and may result in disciplinary and legal action.
Unexcused Absences/Truancy (Education Code Section 48205)
Reasons may include but not limited to: Traffic, oversleeping, car problems, vacation, work, hunting, shopping, or personal business, or an absence not authorized by a parent/guardian. Make-up work is given at the individual teacher’s discretion. A period truancy is defined as a student missing 30 minutes or more in a period without a valid excuse.
If a student is identified as being truant, the following steps may be implemented:
• Truancy Letter 1 issued when a student has 3 unauthorized absences.
• Action: Letter mailed home, student may be disciplined. Truancy Letter 2
• Issued when a student has 1 unauthorized absence after receiving Truancy Letter 1
• Action: Letter mailed home, parent contacted and student may be disciplined. Truancy Letter 3
• Issued when a student has 1 absence after receiving Truancy Letter 2
• Action: Letter mailed home, parent contacted and student may be disciplined. Truancy Letter 4
• Issued when as student has 1 or more unauthorized period absence after receiving Truancy Letter 3
• Action: Served Notice to Appear to Student Attendance Mediation (SAM) at District Office by School Resource Officer and student may be disciplined.
Permission to Leave Campus
GBHS is a closed campus. Students must have permission to leave campus during the school day. Please follow these procedures:
Send a note with your student in the morning and have them drop it off at the attendance office before school. They should return during the passing period prior to the class they are leaving from to pick up their “Special” pass to leave with. Or you may come in and sign your student out. It could take up to ½ hour for us to get them out of class, especially during both lunches. Students may not be able to be retrieved from 2:20-2:35.
If your student contacts you and indicates they are not feeling well please direct them to go to the nurse’s office so that we may monitor them while they wait for you to arrive.
Failure to secure a “Special” before leaving campus may result in a truancy discipline. A parent calling or sending a note after a student leaves without permission will not absolve the student of discipline consequences.